Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Day 8 - Wednesday - Youth Ministry-ing it up!

It has been about 10 months since me and my wife(then fiancé) have been Youth Directors. We had been the Youth Directors for almost two years when the church decided it wasn't going to have a youth group. When we heard the news I didn't really mind. We were busy with wedding plans and tired of some of the things going on. I was actually somewhat happy that we were no longer Youth Directors, although I felt bad for the youth.

We didn't technique have a youth group; it was more of an outreach. Most of the youth didn't attend church or have families to support them in that way. Youth group was the only place most of them were hearing the gospel and learning the Bible. All we could do was hope and pray that we had taught them something and they could grow on their own now.

In the last few months I have been missing the ministry more and more. Sure there was a lot of it I didn't enjoy, but in the end it was worth it. I am far from a outgoing social person, I'm actually quite introverted, but I loved to see the youth learning and having fun. I miss planning meetings and events. I miss the crazy last minute meetings to bake food for the bake sale the next morning. I miss the winter retreats to Camp Sentinel. I miss the debates over Bible lessons. I miss all the crazy games we played. I miss seeing that look when something clicks with one of the youth after a deep lesson or conversation. I miss being able to be there for the youth.

I have tried to come up with some ideas of how to get back into youth ministry and haven't found an answer yet. I am always trying to come up with ways to find work that honors God, although, many times I catch myself thinking selfishly. I know God has a plan and I don't know what it is, but I can’t wait to see where it will take me.

No comments:

Post a Comment